NEW at fahr(T)raum: Steyr Type 30 Cabriolet (1931)
Ferdinand Porsche, who has gone down in history as a pioneer of automotive engineering, developed a car for the upper middle class for the Steyr-Werke in 1929: following his career as Technical Director at Austro Daimler (1906-1923). He very advantageously reengineered, as instructed by Steyr, the Steyr type XX and created a substantially new model – the type XXX (or 30).
Steyr’s first all-steel construction was completed by Porsche´s successor, Karl Jenschke. The presentation at the Paris Motor Show in 1930, a year after construction began, went well. The Steyr Type 30 was praised by the press as a good and solid car. “The 4- to 5-seater standard-convertible 4-door embodies the practical utility car for all purposes”, was how Steyr itself extolled the Type 30 in advertising brochures. It was executed in eight different colour combinations.
Technically, the vehicle was of a high standard: 2.1 litre ohv 6-cylinder in-line engine in a light alloy (silumin) crankcase, 8 crankshaft bearings, water cooling with pump and thermostat, heated intake manifold and automatic choke. One could reach up to 100 kph with the 3-speed transmission.
A lightweight, torsion-resistant sheet steel frame and the rear swing axle ensured comfortable suspension and good road holding. In addition, illuminated interior lighting, ashtray and cigar lighter mirrored contemporary luxury.
Overall, Steyr made 2,200 vehicles of this type from 1930 to 1932. In addition to the standard version of the 4-door convertible (Double Phaeton), the Type 30 was also offered as a 4-door sedan, as a 2-door 4-seat luxury convertible and as a 2- to 3-seater special luxury convertible.
The Steyr works merged in 1934 with the Austro-Daimler-Puchwerke AG. After the merger, the company changed its name to Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG. Among the designers who worked for the predecessor companies of Steyr-Daimler-Puch, were also, inter alia, Ferdinand Porsche and Karl Jenschke.
A beautiful grey specimen of the Steyr Type 30 can now be viewed at fahr(T)raum Mattsee!