The average Austrian loves vintage cars – as demonstrated by Christian Schamburek and Robert Sobotka in their study „Vintage cars in Austria – Attitudes to historic vehicles and socio-economic importance“ (Oldtimer Guide 2018). 59 percent of Austrians enjoy having vintage cars on the streets, 64 percent see vintage cars as a cultural asset and 96,000 own a historic automobile or motorcycle. The typical vintage owner is male (94%) and between 40 and 60 years old. However, 40 percent of Austrians say that they would like to have an oldie.
- Further facts and data about the vintage and classic car scene in Austria:
- Austrians travel on average less than 1000 kilometres p.a. with their historic automobile, and less than 500 kilometres with their motorcycle.
- The most popular brand in Austria is VW and the Beetle the most popular model.
- The average value of a historic automobile is around €23,000, for motorcycles around €5,000.
- The economic importance of the vintage and classic car industry is calculated at 690 million euros p.a. (sum of direct and indirect owner expenditure, domestically relevant purchases and sales). The core of the classic car industry is made up of small and medium-sized businesses, crafts, family businesses and tourism regions.
Despite looming changes in legislation, the future is viewed optimistically – 50 percent of companies expect rising sales. The strongly anchored club scene in Austria serves the preservation and care of classic and vintage cars. Exhibitions and museums as well as events promote and enliven the classic and vintage car scene in Austria.
Here is a short list of classic and vintage car events in Austria in 2019 for our classic car enthusiasts:
|03. – 05. Jänner 2019||Planai Classic||www.planai-classic.at|
|25. – 27. April 2019||Südsteiermark Classic||www.suedsteiermark-classic.com|
|30. Mai – 1. Juni 2019||Gaisbergrennen||www.src.co.at|
|5. Juni 2019||Mödling Classic||www.neuroth.info|
|19. – 22. Juni 2019||Saalbach Classic||www.saalbach-classic.at|
|12. – 14. Juli 2019||Großglockner VW Käfer Treffen||www.käfertreffen.at|
|24. – 27. Juli 2019||Ennstal Classic||www.ennstal-classic.at|
|30. August – 1. September 2019||Ferdinand Porsche Landpartie||www.fahrtraum-landpartie.at|
|6. – 8. September 2019||VW-Klassiker auf der Postalm||www.vwpostalm.at|
|7. – 15. September 2019||Goldie Days||www.goldiedays.at|
|29. September 2019||Rallye Historial||www.historiale.at|
|18. – 20. Oktober 2019||Classic Expo Salzburg||www.classicexpo.at|
Sourche: Oldtimer Guide